Friday, September 10, 2004

Ah, the humble beginnings of narcissism...

Well, here is my first BLOG. What is a BLOG? I can only assume it's an acronym, though I don't know what it stands for. In essence, a BLOG is like an online journal -- a place where one can post any and all whimsical thoughts that happen to pass through their brain on any given day. It's all built upon the premise that every friend, family member, and hapless web surfer in existence is eager to savor your every thought simply because, hey, it's you!

So what will my BLOG have to offer? Next to nothing, I imagine. It will probably be little more than a passing obsession, and not a long one at that. I have realized of myself that I do go through small stages of obsession with different hobbies or interests. Not diverse interests, mind you, but just little things that usually relate to something I'm already interested in -- music, movies, video games (old school ones, of course), college, etc. It's an endless cycle. I'll spend a week, maybe two, eagerly engaged in whatsoever happens to be my fancy at the time. Perhaps I'll spend several hours in one day researching all the songs to hit the charts in any given year and figuring out how I can get my hands on every one of them so I can make an all-inclusive, custom CD of 1989 or 1994 or 1997 or whatever. A week later, I'm making a list of every movie I can ever remember seeing and where I saw it at (if I can remember), whether on video or at a particular movie theater. Then I spend a week obsessing over what graduate school I most want to attend two years from now, looking up several university websites and reading all about them, making comprehensive lists about all the possibilities (Univerisity of Virginia for a philosophy Master's followed by Notre Dame for a philosophy Ph.D.? Claremont Graduate University for a Master's degree in philosophical religion followed by a joint Ph.D. in classics and philosophy from Berkeley? Classics all the way from University of Washington?). Then I'll research the weather in all the cities I could end up living in and make a comparative chart of the average temperatures for every month for each locale. Perhaps I'll send e-mails to graduate students at these schools and ask them their opinion on how rich of an experience they are having. Bla bla bla. Given this fact about me, I can only imagine this BLOG will reflect such tangents. Checking in here may be like checking WeatherBug for current temperatures and conditions -- expect frequent changes.

Anyway, enough rambling for one morning. Oh, and by the way, current conditions are: I think I want to go to Claremont Graduate University for a Master's degree in philosophical religion and then find a joint Ph.D. in classics and philosophy somewhere. Likely candidates would include Berkeley, University of Washington, and Yale. This is an area I've yet to research as thoroughly as I'm sure I will. Regardless, this current plan o' mine has changed several times over the last few days and won't necessarily hold throughout the weekend. The problem is, I can't decide if I want to teach classical languages or philosophy more, and I think I want to do both. This current plan seems the most receptive to such a goal. I really think I'd love teaching a language, but do I have what it takes? In the city of Self-Confidence, current conditions are cloudy with little hope of sunny skies anytime soon. I'll let you know if something miraculous happens. Until then, I'm outtie!

1 comment:

  1. In honor of the sucking anniversary, I thought I'd pollute this until-now unadulterated first post with a comment.

    By now I'm sure you know that blog is short for weblog. You're right, most blogs are pretty short-lived, probably because bloggers soon realize that every hapless web surfer is NOT eager to savor everything we write. I think the fact that your blog and my blog have survived this long is that we actually have a purpose... a tool to use to keep in touch with friends and family. If others stumble upon it, great, but if they don't, the main purpose remains intact.

    It's amazing what a different mood the Minima Black template puts on the site. It makes you appear more introverted, I think.

    ReplyDelete