Tuesday, April 19, 2005

May I Have the Envelope, Please?

--or--
Return to Sender?

As mentioned in an earlier post, I recently applied for a summer philosophy seminar at the University of Colorado. I had every reason to believe I would not get in, but it turns out I was accepted. This news should be thrilling, but it couldn't have come at a worse time. With finals steadily approaching, I do not feel prepared to handle such jarring jolts of anxiety. For all the feigned confidence I strive to exude via the anonymous sanctuary that is the World Wide Web, this scares the living crap out of me. I knew I was taking a risk when I applied, because I knew if I got in, I couldn't rightfully turn it down. Now I'm freaking out. Aside from the obvious fear that everyone else will be so much smarter and better read than I am, and that I, as someone who hates confrontation, will be thrown into the midst of intellectual warfare with vastly inferior provisions, I also dread the thought of leaving my honeypie for three weeks straight! What if I cry in front of my roommate? Yes, yes, the cat is out of the bag ... I'm just a big a softy, and a timid one at that! *Sigh* I need a bon-bon!

3 comments:

  1. Ditto to the holy freaking crap! That is SO awesome. I had the same fear being accepted to graduate school- just go! You will be glad you did. What an experience! About your honey pie. That will be rough! Maybe she'll fit in your suit case. If not, I have an extra one you can take and she should fit in there! Let us know the details! I'm way excited (and ANXIOUS!) for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes, many is the time I have feebly knocked on a door only to have the bejeezus scared out of me when it opened up before me.

    Just shut your eyes and power on through, it's the only way.

    Oh, and don't forget your bon-bons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are gonna rock so hard, so try not to worry. They accepted you, didn't they? I love you, my brother.

    ReplyDelete