Monday, April 04, 2005

Potpourri No. 3

  • I applied for the summer seminar in philosophy at the University of Colorado. They only admit about 15 applicants per year, giving preference to philosophy students who lack access to graduate-level classes and/or those coming from lesser reputable schools. While the University of Utah is nowhere near one of the top philosophy schools in the nation, it may rank too high to give me any advantage. So, I really don't expect anything to happen here. Truth be known, getting accepted will scare the crap out of me! We'll know within a month...
  • I was sincerely shocked to get 100% on my latest Deductive Logic test. And, to brag shamelessly, I was noted for having completed a certain proof in less lines than anyone else (i.e., I was able to prove something with fewer steps). To show off my skills, let me offer this following proof:
    1. If Ben gets 100% on his test, he will soil himself from shock.
    2. Ben did get 100% on his test.
    3. Hence, Ben soiled himself from shock.
It's just that easy!
  • I have made several adjustments to the sidebar lately (the area on the righthand side of the blog). If you haven't had a chance to peruse this new getup, I urge you to do so. I have added a link to my other blog, Orange Theology, as well as bumping up the links to other blogs I find noteworthy (a list that will hopefully continue to grow, so keep an eye out). I have also added the "Currently Sucking On..." section to let you pry even further into my daily life. This section should (theoretically) update fairly often, letting you know what books, movies, music, and television I am enjoying in the rare instances that I have free time (and am not blogging so as to entertain the masses). As an added bonus, I will informally rank the movies listed on a standard, four-star scale to let you know what, if anything, is worth seeing. Four stars is excellent (something like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest or Moulin Rouge) and zero stars is crapola (something with Peter Gallagher in it, for example). It's not much of a review, but it's something.
Thank you and please come again.

2 comments:

  1. i pretty much detest Peter Gallagher. especially in movies like American Beauty or Sex, Lies, and Video Tape. Not because he's a bad actor, but because he plays a scumbag well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben you are a smarty. I will not comment on the proof. Proofs are something I should know well- in mathematics anyway. I think they kinda suck. So, I'm very impressed by you.
    I did check out your other blog- too smart for me to comment on. But very interesting and I did read and ponder.

    ReplyDelete