Sunday, September 12, 2004

Who said life was fair?

Melanie and I went to the state fair last night. It's one of those things that tradition alone obligates you to do. Not going would equate to a self-inflicted ostracism from society, and who can bear such a burden? And so, despite the fact that it is nothing more than a glorified flea market, we went. We smelled the stench of the livestock that, at next year's fair, will again make an appearance, this time in the form of $4 corn dogs and slathered over hot scones to be sold as Navajo Tacos. We perused the overcrowded pavilions where companies that can't afford a half-hour infomercial on the WB hope to peddle their products to passing pedestrians. Some are actually pretty cool, such as the ultra-realistic bouquets of flowers made out of wood. Some are more unsettling, such as the casket display featuring a coffin with motorcycle stenciling on the inside of the lid. We avoided the rides - rickety structures just waiting to topple back into the thousand-piece jigsaw puzzle of rusty metal that they were just 48-hours earlier. Nevertheless, it was fun for a short time.

Truth be told, the main reason we went was to see a band perform, a Christian rock group called Newsboys. Think what you will about Christian messages infused with crunchy guitars and strong drum beats, I think they are very talented musically. So it was enjoyable, but only while it lasted. The concert began at 7:30pm and was over before 9:00pm. This is particularly pathetic when you consider that the first few minutes was actually an introduction from a local pastor, and that at least 30 minutes of the concert was talking to the audience about God. That's fine, that's probably what this kind of crowd expects. But you'd think if there was going to be preaching, the show would go a lot longer than 85 minutes. The grand total of songs played was something like eight. And although they are talented and sounded good, the sound system was obviously not the best. Lots of speaker noise at times, and the vocals were often difficult to hear. But it was an experience and was a break from the usual weekend fare. Get it? Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Ha.

3 comments:

  1. The comment about the livestock appearing at next year's fair in the form of food was laughably funny and disturbingly scary! The word "slathered" makes poignant imagery. I wonder how many corn dogs the "world's biggest pig" will make (or will they use the steer to make the dogs o' corn?!?!?)!
    I found the fair to be interesting. The majority of people there seemed to be young couples; they were all decked out in their cowboy boots or those other weird shoes that are common among western-wearers. Do you know which ones I am talking about? They have a high top. They are made of brown or black leather (maybe pseudo leather; I don't know). The aspect that characterizes them best, though, is the tongue that decorates the outside of the shoe. It fans out and becomes at least eight little tongues as it gets closer to the toes. Where do these shoes come from? What makes them popular with cowboy hat wearers? I found myself pondering this quandary: Does the fair give these western-dressers the opportunity to get out? Or does the fair give people the chance to dress western? Which do you think it is?
    I, personally, don't feel tradition requires me to visit the fair. In fact, my experience is on the contrary; society seems to ostracize me for having attended the fair. What are other peoples' experiences?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I comment if it was my posting in the first place? I guess so! Well, I'm sorry to say that I have no idea what the shoes are that you refer to, Melanie. But I'm probably better off for not knowing. If I may be prejudiced for a moment, cowboys (and cowgirls, I s'pose) are quite an interesting breed. Not in a good way or anything. The memory that always comes to my mind is one from high school. I had been out sluffing with some friends, and when we returned to the school (still during class time, if I remember correctly), there was a large group of cowpeople (political correctness sure makes this classification sound funny) line dancing in the parking lot. What a nauseating sight! But luckily, you don't see large groups of cowpeople at the places I tend to hang out, such as Barnes & Noble or other places that cater to the literate crowd. So, I manage to keep my corn dogs down. But thanks for commenting everyone! (well, both of you that is...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right, Rose, about the corn dogs being way too expensive. Whoever "owns" the fair must be wealthy. $7/head and at least that for food that doesn't come close to filling you. I am sure all the vendors pay nicely to be there. Do the animal owners have to pay?
    Cowpeople is the word of the day. Let's try to use it in our casual conversation! I love being p.c.!!!! Line dancing in the parking lot at school!?!?!?!?!?! Can you be more troubled than that?!!!!! What a world!

    ReplyDelete