Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Everything is food, food, food...

On another BLOG, I recently commented on a discussion regarding the classification of fruits and vegetables. My theory was that pumpkin is most likely to be a fruit, considering all the circumstantial evidence (which includes, but is not limited to, the fact that we will eat it [in pie form] with whipped cream, unlike any vegetable that I know of). This got me thinking about "weird" food combinations that I am in favor of, some of which I will share with my audience now. This will be a good posting for readers to comment on, as I hope to hear of other odd combinations that may be worth trying. So, read, ponder, consider, and try my suggestions, then post one (or two or even more) of your own. Bon appetit!

1) Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches with Cheetos
This probably doesn't sound overly weird, especially considering the fact that it is not uncommon to eat Cheetos alongside a PB&J. But, it is especially tasteful to go ahead and just pile them onto the sandwich as a delightfully crisp third topping. I don't think it would work too well with the puffy kind of Cheeto but I admit I have not tried it this way. And I think grape jelly is the most complimentary to the overall mix. It's a child's Wonder Bread fantasy come true.

2) Red Vines Dipped in Nacho Cheese
This is not something I would actually call enjoyable, but it is an interesting experience. The odd thing about it is that the flavors fail to combine. Rather, you seem to end up with two distinct impressions in your mind. You can taste the nacho cheese, and you can taste the Red Vines, but they remain separate. It's as though you had two tongues! It's just weird. Obviously, this is an expensive experiment, one most easily tried at a movie theater (as was the case with myself). But as such, it could cost upwards of $7 to try this out. I recommend you attend movies regularly with fat friends who are likely to buy all the necessary snacks and then mooch off of them.

3) Garlic Spumoni Bread
Now here is the creme de la creme! For the same price as the Red Vines and Nachos at the movie theater, you could have an entire meal from the Old Spaghetti Factory and top it off with this exquisite culinary concoction. Now what you have to do is to make sure you have some sourdough bread left over once you finish your meal (or simply request a new loaf, as they will be happy to oblige). At this point, your server should offer you a complimentary serving of spumoni ice cream. It is very important that you accept this offer! Both the spumoni ice cream and the bread are necessary! What you do once you have the ice cream is: take the complimentary loaf of bread, cut yourself a slice, and spread on the garlic butter just like you would normally do at the beginning of your dining experience. Next, get yourself a modest spoonful of spumoni ice cream, concentrating primarily on the green (pistachio) areas. Apply the ice cream to the front of the bread, just where you plan to take a bite. Now take the bite. No further explanation is necessary. You too will experience the euphoric blend that is Garlic Spumoni Bread. As many witnesses can attest, I can scarce partake of this luxurious delicacy without moaning to a nearly indecent extreme.

So there you have it. Just a few ideas to play around with. There are probably others I have forgotten to include, but watch the comments and perhaps more will arise. Plus, again, I strongly encourage all readers to post comments with their own combination ideas. Please, no funny business. Until next time...!

3 comments:

  1. Today I experienced for the first time the infamous Fuddruckers burger, described by both my brothers as "aaAH" in exactly the same resonance (there is no way to spell that). I must admit I did not have quite the same reaction, but it was good. What I realized, once again in my life, is that Ben is always right. Simple pleasures are best. Excited to taste it all, I loaded my burger with tomatoes, onions, frysauce, mustard, AND relish. Sadly, I missed the ingenious combination of a simple burger with swiss cheese on a toasty sweet bun. The best bite was the last- a piece of cheese had melted on a crusty edge of the bun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, toasty buns! Yes, Fuddrucker's is indeed a tasty treat. I'm sorry to hear you overdid it on toppings -- simplicity often is the best option. But speaking of simplicity, did you try a vanilla shake? They make a darn good one, I tell you. Of course they are already such an expensive eatery that buying a shake puts you in a dollar range comparable to eating at Outback Steakhouse or something. I don't know if it's really worth all that. On the other hand, if you're fond of slightly expensive but great tasting burgers, you may want to try a basic bacon cheeseburger from Crown Burgers. I had one a few months ago and have more or less craved it ever since. Want to take me to lunch???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well darn, that would have made a good birthday gift... should have mentioned that a week ago... or maybe I should have read it a week ago!

    ReplyDelete