Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Busy as a B-

This semester is keeping me plenty busy. It's kicking my buttocks. I simply do not have the time to do everything I need to do. On a day-to-day (or week-to-week) basis, I feel like I have to choose which class (or classes) I am going to ignore for the week. It's obvious how failure friendly this formula is, but I feel it's my only real choice right now. And as for any non-school chores (laundry, grocery shopping, cleaning, etc.), well those are simply luxuries that my schedule cannot afford. I think it has a lot to do with taking two languages. To really be successful in a language, you have to devote a lot of time to it. Now I have both Greek and Latin, and although I'm still at the relatively easy stage of Latin, the two are (or at least should be) using almost all of my available time. It's quite literally impossible to devote the necessary time to these things given my current schedule. And it shows. I just got back my first Greek test of the semester and it's the lowest score I've ever gotten on a Greek exam. Graduate school, here I come! Yeah, right. I so fantasize about quitting my job. It sucks to feel so overwhelmingly busy, and then to spend six hours of my day just sitting here taking stupid phone calls about stupid things--what a waste of time! I have all this anxiety about everything that needs to be done and I feel like I'm just sitting here waiting around. It's frustrating. Emotional fatigue has joined mental and physical fatigue as part of my regular student diet. It seems really early in the semester to be feeling this way. I don't think that's a good sign. Don't you just love the college life?

2 comments:

  1. I dig your new name, BTW. I'm sorry you are so burned out. It makes me scared to go to college. However, if you don't do laundry tiil it's absolutely neccesary, eat other peoples food, and never clean maybe you would be all right, time wise. Thats what I do!
    PS I've missed you lately. Call me.

    Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I relate to the language takes total devotion thing. Math is its own language and I could only take two classes and work so minimally you could barely call it a job when I was an undergrad.

    I do think it's worth it. The feeling I had the day I graduated was like no other. Not only had I accomplished academically, but I had grown into myself. I hope you have a similar experience.

    As for working... I do believe that an education is worth going in debt for. People indebt themselves for a lot of reasons, at least education is something you can keep forever.

    Hang in there! But also take good stock of your life. Don't get caught in the "I have to" way of life- whether it's to impress others or even just yourself, sometimes the smart thing is to take a step back and realize when you are happy being where you're at, rather than trudging forward.

    ReplyDelete