Thursday, October 27, 2005

Introducing Mr. & Mrs. K

What an exciting few weeks it’s been. I’ve gone from living on my own, to living with my parents, to living with my wife (!). In the past eight days alone, I’ve slept in seven different beds. I’ve been on airplanes, buses, ferries, taxis, and choo-choo trains. I’ve checked and claimed (and packed) my baggage almost as many times as I’ve brushed my teeth! And now—finally—I’m simmering down into a newfound sense of “everyday life” that is simultaneously foreign and utterly familiar. It’s splendid and wonderful and not altogether real. Yes, I feel like I went to a wedding recently, but was it really mine? Crazy!

The wedding and the honeymoon went off (almost) without a hitch, except of course for actually getting hitched. It’s funny to think the whole thing is over after months of preparation. No more will wedding plans occupy my thoughts. No more will I readily find excuses for avoiding the stresses of academia. In fact, I’ve already taken a Latin test since my return, and tomorrow I will be tested in Greek. If it weren’t for living in a new apartment, you could probably convince me that the whole wedding was a dream, at least during the daytime hours when my wife is off being the breadwinner.

I hope the honeymoon will provide some interesting reading over the next several posts. I’ll probably make a single post out of each day of the trip. And yes, I’ve got plenty of photos to engage all my loyal ADD readers. But, to whet your appetite, I’ll share some photos from the wedding day itself. To protect my highly-prized anonymity, I won’t be sharing anything terribly interesting, but still.

To begin with, here is a picture of the wedding cake. It turned out even more beautiful than we could have imagined. And I like this photo, which comes courtesy of Amie-J. The lighting gives a very classical feel to it all. Very cool.


Here’s my wife’s bouquet. We asked for a variety of flowers in a variety of purples. We weren’t completely sure what to expect, but it turned out beautifully. Don’t you agree?


And finally, here is where we had our wedding luncheon. The food was great, although the portions were considerably smaller than I expected. Still, no complaints. It served our purposes rather well. We only had about 60 guests, and we all fit snugly into one upstairs room.


There you have it. More photos and stories to come. And I promise they won’t be completely boring, “here is the hotel” type of photos. I’ll try to say something interesting. Until then…

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations! You chose a beautiful location, lovely bouquet, and a gorgeous cake. I hope you saved a piece of cake for your first anniversary . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again I must say congratulations. It is such an exciting time for you two, and if you keep your relationship going like you have, it will be exciting forever. There is nothing like coming home at the end of a long day and spending the entire evening with your best friend. By the way, that picture of your cake is amazing, as an amateur photographer myself, I say big props to Amie-J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks all. I don't think the building looks as pink in person as perhaps it does here. It's more brown. And, I must admit, we did NOT save a piece of cake for our first anniversary. As unromantic as it sounds, we both thought it seemed pointless and wouldn't taste good then anyway. I'd much rather spend the next several days eating the top layer of cake while it's semi-fresh. So that's what we're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! I wish Sarah and I could have been there. I'm glad everything went so well. We look forward to seeing you when we come home for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right Benny. Year-old frozen cake is pretty gross. It's soggy and tastes like a combination of everything you ever had the in the freezer. Wish I had finished mine while it was still good . . . Oh well . . . just so long as you don't forget your anniversary! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to you both! That cake is gorgeous! I'm in the middle of planning my wedding so if you have any words of wisdom, please share. I plan on honeymooning in warmer climates, but the plans you detailed sound like you had a fabulous time. Oh, and about the cake, I've heard that a lot of bakeries are willing to make a fresh cake top for your one year anniversary for free, so you don't have to mess with saving the top layer and eating year old cake.

    ReplyDelete