Wednesday, May 04, 2005

I Wanna Be Sedated

24 hours to go until I’m done with finals. However well or poorly I may do, it will nevertheless be over. This is a thought that thrills me to no end. As I’m sure most students know, there comes a point when everything once strived for—academic excellence, an impressive GPA, pride in the face of your instructors—all of it goes out the window. All that matters is finishing. Truth be known, it’s a good thing that this quasi-obliviousness sets in. It’s a defense mechanism, and a very necessary one. There simply comes a point when one can no longer bear the mental responsibility of actually caring. If I were to care at this point, all hope would be lost—my brain would simply implode. And that certainly wouldn’t help my GPA.

Alas, I look very much forward to 12:30pm, May 5th, 2005, the long-awaited moment of academic emancipation. Finally, I can turn some attention to those things that have sorely been missing from my life lately. Currently on the backburner:
  • Personal hygiene. At least as it relates to the cleanliness of my apartment, which currently makes me want to puke.
  • Reading for pleasure. Anyone paying attention to the sidebar will notice that the list of books I am “currently” reading has not changed for months. Well, get yourself a windbreaker, because the pages will soon be a flippin’!
  • Brainless entertainment. Okay, I’m already doing a decent job of squeezing this in. Part of my current mental breakdown includes unjustified homework/studying breaks to watch Space Ghost: Coast to Coast or Strong Bad e-mails at Homestarrunner.com. But, 24 hours from now, such activities will be adhered to with religious fervor. At least for a few days.
  • Singing. Not professionally, of course, but by golly, lately I’ve had a hankering to put on some good CDs and sing-along with giddy, reckless abandon. Living in an apartment makes such joyous exuberance a little less attainable, so I’ll probably have to borrow a car with a CD player or go to my parents' house when I know nobody’s home. Either way, it’s time to stock up on lozenges because these vocal chords are about to teach Gerber the true meaning of being strained!
  • Yet another blog. While Orange Theology has been no sweeping success, I nevertheless plan to unveil yet another blog. This one, however, will not be as serious, nor will it even be a blabbering type of blog (per se). Instead, I’d like to create a blog dedicated purely to music lists. For example, I might list my five favorite albums, quintessential songs of the 1980’s, etc. The posts will be quick and easy to read, nothing demanding or lengthy like you often see here. I will, however, hope for readers to share their thoughts (even country music fans). A regular installment will likely be a “this song vs. that song” survey, where I ask readers to share which song they like best out of two. (Out of curiosity, does anyone reading my blog think they’d be interested in seeing this?)
And so it is. As promised, I hope to up my blogging regularity soon. For anyone who is keeping track and is interested, my Latin final went well last Friday. I feel fairly confident that I got 100%, though this usually means I missed something really stupid and obvious. My Deductive Logic final, I know I botched up some things on. Plus, I ran out of time, as did most people from what I could tell. I was literally seconds away from completing it, but my teacher is a stickler and I chose not to test him when he told us to put our pencils down. I’m really hoping I can still manage an A in that class, but we’ll see…

4 comments:

  1. Latin, ick, that brings back memories...

    Amo amas amat amamus ... oh my God! It's gone!!

    Amatis amant???

    I thought it was permanently etched on my brain!

    Is that right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. JL, you got it! Fac latinum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, but what's your favorite ablative?

    sorry, Latin nerd myself, here.

    Ben - how's the freedom treating you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, my favorite ablative.... How about ablative of cause? I don't remember formally learning this one, but it's in Wheelock's Appendix (ha ha ha, that sounds funny, doesn't it?) The sentence they give is precious: Miser timore delirat (the wretched man is insane with fear).

    Anyway, freedom is nice so far. Granted, it's only been a few days. I could be doing better if it weren't for all the things I hope to accomplish this summer. I'm still overwhelmed, but at least I'm not figthing for a grade or anything. That's always nice...

    How about you? Will you be in classes all summer? Do you get to use Latin in your studying much? Any special ablatives you'd care to share with us?

    ReplyDelete