Thursday, August 06, 2009

Headaches

A short while ago, I took two Tylenol in order to fight a pounding headache. For me to take pain medication, even of the over-the-counter variety, is quite a big deal. I rarely pop pills. In fact, I could probably count the number of pills I’ve taken in the last five years on one hand (if I had enough fingers). But, for whatever reason, over the last few years, I am highly prone to headaches. Don’t get a full night of sleep? Headache. Physically exert myself? Headache. Noisy kids? Headache. Stressed about something? Headache. Given that at least one or two of these things is almost always going on, my headaches seem unstoppable. I have a newfound appreciation for what my wife has gone through her entire life, as she herself is especially prone to headaches (which are usually much more intense than mine, I’m sad to say). I used to get headaches only rarely, but now they’re practically a part of who I am. Which sucks. And yes, they’re usually worse than what I ever remember getting when I was younger. I’ve even had headaches set in where it literally feels like my skull is suddenly, rapidly shrinking. That’s honestly what it feels like to me. I didn’t come up with that description as I thought back on my worst headaches and thought about how to describe them. No, it’s that when those headaches set in, I thought to myself, “Holy crap, my skull is shrinking and crushing my brain!”

I don’t think I ever understood just how debilitating a headache could be, but I understand it now. And it’s not something I’m happy to understand.

I guess that’s all I have to say. Just getting out what’s in my head.

3 comments:

  1. Poor Benny! As you may know, I am also reluctant to pop pills. However I recently had cramps and took a whopping 4 ibuprofen.
    It was lovely, so there you go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aye yi yie! I'm so sorry Benny. That really sucks. Perhaps you should talk to a doctor? But it's probably just normal crap. Crap crap crap. I kinda got the impression, just so you know, that Tylenol is like uber-safe. They told me I could take it when I was pregnant like it was no big deal (I too did so only very reluctantly at the very end only like two or three times). But, thank goodness for modern science hu!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That worries me. Maybe you need more sleep or oxygen....?? I'm really very sorry to hear about this.
    You could also try the Tylenol as a preventive measure sometimes.

    ReplyDelete