Friday, April 11, 2008

Stick to the Cookies, Girls

Here is a picture of something you would think would taste soooooooo good!


Here is a picture of something that tastes a lot better than what is pictured above.


When I saw the former ice cream at my neighborhood grocery store, I thought I had stumbled upon one of the greatest ideas in frozen dessert history. Is there a person on this planet who enjoys cookies but does not love the Girl Scout Samoas? No. In fact, Samoas are the only Girl Scout cookie I ever hear anyone talk about. (Despite the fact that, according to the ever-dependable Wikipedia, Thin Mints are the Girl Scouts biggest seller.) So, when I saw that some genius had decided to blend Samoas with fudge and caramel-swirled vanilla ice cream, I did not think it a recipe that could possibly go wrong.

Wrong.

While Edy’s Limited Edition Girl Scouts Samoas Cookie ice cream sounds like a dream come true, it is surprisingly mediocre. It turns out the relatively soft interior of the Samoas cookies does not translate well to ice cream mix-in. They get lost. Their presence is barely noticeable. It’s some of the plainest tasting ice cream I’ve intentionally purchased in a long time. I thought the concoction would be … amazing. (I was going to say orgasmic, but putting “orgasmic” and “Girl Scouts” in the same sentence is likely to bring a host of web surfers to my blog that I’m not sure I want visiting.) Sadly, it wasn’t.

On the other hand, if you’re looking for a cheap and decent ice cream, you can try to the above pictured Kroger Deluxe Nutty Waffle Cone ice cream. It has bits of chocolate dipped waffle cone and chocolate covered peanuts. It’s nothing amazing, but at less than half the price, it flogs those Girl Scouts like there’s no tomorrow.

I’m always looking out for the consumer.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for being on the look out for consumers. I love Samoas, so I might have tried that ice cream someday. I won't waste my money. Maybe I should split the money I save with you. So if one day you randomly receive a dollar in the mail, you'll know why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still rolling about the whole orgasmic and Girls Scout thing. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that SOMEONE is watching out for the consumer. I'm sure just the name on it makes the price much more than it is really worth.
    Darn, now I want some ice-cream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never would have bought it. I don't like those cookies. So you dont have to worry about me.
    I like the thin mints....

    ReplyDelete