Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Get Lost!

(as brought to you by Mapquest®)

If you’re even semi-familiar with the Internet, you’re probably familiar with Mapquest®. Mapquest® is the premier online resource for maps and driving directions. By going directly to www.mapquest.com, Internet surfers can type in just about any address and find detailed instructions on how to arrive at said location from virtually any starting point. And whenever a company lists its street address on its webpage, you’re almost certain to have the option of clicking on a map, and you’re pretty much guaranteed that the map is going to be powered by Mapquest®.

As useful a tool as it is, I’d like to say that Mapquest® is a flawless system. Heaven knows I’ve used it many-a-time, and luckily I’ve yet to end up stranded in who-knows-where. From what I’ve gathered, if you’re driving from one metropolitan area to another, and you’re looking for a relatively downtown address, you’ll do just fine. But, as my fiancée knows all too well, there are entire cities (albeit minor ones) that Mapquest® is completely ignorant of. Sadly, Mapquest® can also be ignorant of its ignorance, and thus it is possible that one will end up with driving directions that have absolutely no grounding in reality. Non-existent highway exits and incorrect street names wreak havoc on an unfamiliar commute. As if driving with our left pinky so we can hold onto our cell phones, mocha lattes, and crullers wasn’t bad enough!

The reason for my rant is a recent search for Canadian driving directions. As my upcoming honeymoon plans consist of crossing the northern border, I thought I would work out some minor commuting issues ahead of time. However, as I sought to utilize Mapquest® for driving directions between two Canadian addresses, this is the map I was given:


Apparently, Canada has purchased some land smack-dab on the border of Kansas and Nebraska. Though I hate to sound like a snob, I must admit that this makes my honeymoon seem a lot less romantic.

By the way, I was given the option to format the map for printing. I don’t think that will be necessary, thanks. I think I have it pretty much memorized.

2 comments:

  1. May I suggest Google Maps? I think the big advantage it has over Mapquest is the ability to smoothly click and drag the map so you can look at something nearby without having to reload the page. It's pretty cool. I blogged about its "Satellite View" feature a while back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh great! I used map quest just yesterday to get directions to where I'm going tomorrow. Phewf! Maybe you warned me in time!

    ReplyDelete