Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Quizzical Existentialism

While there are several things I like about the philosophical school of Existentialism, I also found it to be the most annoying area of philosophy that I studied while obtaining my undergraduate degree. Nevertheless, according to the online quiz cited below, my "brand" of moral philosophy is most in line with existentialism. I don't know that I'd fully agree, particularly since I am such a fan of Kant (given the limited understanding I have of him), whose philosophy scored lower on my rankings than several others. I will blame this on the fact that I tend to answer surveys with very "middle-of-the-road" type of answers. I can generally see both sides of an argument and thus have a hard time ever choosing the strongly agree option. Anyway, though I know most people don't give a hoot about such things, this quiz won't take very long so I urge you to give it a try (and, of course, post your results in the comment section). Do it for me, pretty please?

THE RESULTS OF MY QUIZ:

You scored as Existentialism. Your life is guided by the concept of Existentialism: You choose the meaning and purpose of your life.


“Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.”

“It is up to you to give [life] a meaning.”

--Jean-Paul Sartre


“It is man's natural sickness to believe that he possesses the Truth.”

--Blaise Pascal



More info at Arocoun's Wikipedia User Page...

Existentialism


85%

Divine Command


65%

Utilitarianism


55%

Justice (Fairness)


55%

Hedonism


55%

Kantianism


50%

Apathy


35%

Strong Egoism


30%

Nihilism


5%

What philosophy do you follow? (v1.03)
created with QuizFarm.com

8 comments:

  1. Well, I'm not very smart... I can't get my results to post, but I think I had to do a tie breaker question and the result for me was existentialism although the bar graphs showed it equal with the Divine Law thing- both at 95%. Are we surprised at all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really like the Pascal quote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. so far you, me, john, and mel have a lot of similar tastes in music. i can't believe you like Cat Stevens!!! Well, yes I can, but..that's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kendra, Cat Stevens definitely rocks. I don't own any of his albums, so by my own standards I am not worthy to label him a favorite of mine, but I do fancy him quite a bit. And I saw your comment about The Postal Service on Mel's site. You've got a good pair of ears on you! Keep 'em filled with great tunes. Thanks for writing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You scored as Hedonism.
    100%


    Your life is guided by the principles of Hedonism: You believe that pleasure is a great, or the greatest, good; and you try to enjoy life’s pleasures as much as you can.

    “Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die!”

    ReplyDelete
  6. You scored as Utilitarianism.

    Your life is guided by the principles of Utilitarianism: You seek the greatest good for the greatest number.


    Yeah, that's about right. I gave up Existentialism soon after my first kid was born. I fully expect to have moved on to Nihilism by the time I'm 50, if only to boost its numbers!

    Cool thought provoking blog, Mr Benny K. I was guided here by Buffalo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I scored as follows:

    Divine Command: 95%
    Utilitarianism: 70%
    Existentialism: 70%
    Justice (Fairness): 45%
    Hedonism: 45%
    Kantianism: 15%
    Apathy: 15%
    Strong Egoism: 0%
    Nihilism: 0%

    Not bad for a kid going into a ministry apprenticeship program.

    PS: The Postal Service kicks. They're one of my favorites. You might consider checking out a band called Death Cab For Cutie. That's the singer of the PS' original band. A little more scream-o-emo though. Dig the Shins too, but I only have them on the Garden State soundtrack.

    Also, who's translation of the Illiad are you reading? I read Lombardo in high school and it was excellent.

    Peace out my brotha'.

    FYI: Added you to my blog list. Thanks for doing the same.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kieran, glad you stopped by. It just so happens I am reading Stanley Lombardo's translation as well. Unfortunately, though I am over halfway through it, my academic responsibilities have put any reading of my own choosing on hiatus. I'll continue soon enough.

    As for music: truth be known, I've been a fan of Death Cab for Cutie (well, at least Transatlanticism) for quite a while and only recently discovered The Postal Service. And yes, the Garden State soundtrack has helped me discover some new favorites, including The Shins. Launch, Yahoo's free Internet radio service, has also been a big help. I listen to their indie rock stations and always find something new (at least new to me) that piques my interest. But music could keep me talking for hours, so I better shutup while I'm ahead...

    ReplyDelete