Monday, April 25, 2005

Closer to Free

With finals steadily approaching, I haven’t really had much time for blogging. Luckily, although I have another 10 days or so before I am completely done with school, the worst of it is over. Though I will still be busy, I will not be as stressed. Today I turned in my last paper of the semester. Wednesday, I have my final in Deductive Logic and Friday I have my final in Latin. These will require less preparation than my Greek and Classical Civilization finals taking place next week, so for the moment I feel relatively calm. It’s wonderful. To add to my delight, the weather has been near perfect lately (re: cool and occasionally rainy) and the tulips are springing up all over town. Think of me what you will, I love flowers. How can you not? And tulips have always been among my very favorites. They are simple, but graceful. Gotta love ‘em.

In less than two weeks, I hope my blogging frequency will increase again. I am stowing away a bevy of blogging ideas and look forward to unleashing them. Until then, I will again share a few of my favorite discoveries of late. Make of these what you will.

Delightful Discoveries o’ the Week:
  • Philocrites, the Unitarian Universalist, posted an interesting bit of more-or-less useless information regarding how long the American flag should be lowered for the deaths of varying religious leaders. He bases this on the denomination/membership ratios of the given religions, using the pope's death as a standard. This probably appealed to me because I, too, like to figure out useless information. Recently, as I walked to the bus stop after school, I found it fascinating to realize that so long as a bus comes every one minute, every two minutes, every three minutes, every four minutes, every five minutes, every six minutes, every ten minutes, every fifteen minutes, every twenty minutes, every thirty minutes, or every sixty minutes, it will come on the same minute of every hour. In essence, this equates to nothing more than the factors of 60, but it sure did entertain me as I meandered across campus.
  • Michèle introduced me to a fascinating literary device known as "Found Poetry." I had never heard of it before, but it certainly sounds intriguing. Check out what it is and, if you feel so inspired, use my post to create your very own found poem. Leave it as a comment and, if I like yours the best, you will win a prize ... like a comment from me saying, "I like yours the best!"
  • Via comments left on JL Pagano's blog, I discovered that Cookie Monster has his own blog. Given the recent hubbub surrounding Cookie Monster's diet, I found this blog to be quite amusing, especially the bit about the new FDA food pyramids. Give it a look. (And if you haven't heard about Cookie Monster's diet troubles, see this post at JL Pagano's site for the quick skinny).
Happy perusing!

5 comments:

  1. Michael Davies. A lot of people have complained about how hard he is, but I haven't had too much of a problem with him. I have Svendsen for Greek, on the other hand, and he is kicking everybody's butt. I'll have him for Latin in the fall and again for Greek next spring (or so I'm told), so I'm not too excited about that. If it weren't for summer break, I'd have to drop out! I couldn't handle it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That minutes thing has passed many a mental minute for me as well. 60 is a fascinating number, the way it's divisible by 1,2,3,4,5 AND 6. Ok, maybe fascinating isn't the word.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the heck of it, I've gone ahead and written (discovered?) some "found poetry" for this post. Just in case you're wondering, the line breaks have nothing to do with how the words were broken up originally. I call this:

    The Death of the Philosopher

    I haven't much time
    before it will be
    taking place.
    Feel calm
    and think of me
    among my very favorites,
    simple but graceful.
    Look forward.
    I will again share
    these
    delightful discoveries.
    For death
    equates to nothing more than
    found poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Benny,

    I'm so glad I was able to inspire you. I love the poem you "found" and hope you keep the hunt going.

    Thanks for the links back to my blog!

    ReplyDelete