Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Creegan Turns Four

Creegan turned four this week. Living in Utah, we’ve now got enough extended family nearby that we can celebrate birthdays several times over. We started with my side of the family last Saturday. My mom served hot dogs, pasta salad, and then some, and we brought over a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting (per Creegan’s request). Beegy opened gifts. It went well.









The next day, we had a birthday dinner with Melanie’s side of the family. We had … drum roll, please … hot dogs, pasta salad, and then some. Creegan had requested hot dogs for his birthday dinner before we even knew my mom had coincidentally chosen the same food to serve us on Saturday. So, we had nearly the same meal two days in a row, but I suppose that was just a bonus for Beegy. We also had a brand new chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, because Beegy insisted on having the same kind of cake at both parties. He knows what he likes! After dinner, we opened gifts. It was all very déjà vu.

"I'll be more impressed when I see fire."

"That's the ticket!"



Beegy tries out his new pen and pad of paper.




On Creegan’s actual birthday, we started the morning out with gifts from Melanie and me. We gave him Hungry Hungry Hippos, Count Chocula cereal (which he eyed suspiciously), 500 sheets of paper, a piggy bank that can count and digitally display how much money you’ve put into it, and a VTech Switch & Go Dino. The cereal was meant to be fun for that morning. Beegy’s enjoyed chocolate cereal when he’s had it, but he wasn’t familiar with this particular brand and initially expressed disinterest. Of course, before long, all three boys were eating it for breakfast. And lest you think blank paper is a lame gift for a four-year-old, Creegan was quite pleased with it. He is constantly asking for blank paper on which to draw, so I’m figuring 500 sheets should last him … oh, about a week.



"Are you frickin' kidding me?"


Once Creegan’s older brothers were at school, I took him to Chick-fil-A. We were there for probably 40–45 minutes, but it felt short and I was surprised he didn’t want to stick around longer. He told me they didn’t have much to do in their playland. While there, I took a few photos of Beegy. A stranger came along and asked if I wanted him to take Beegy’s and my picture together, so that worked out well.





After Chick-fil-A, I took Creegan to Pet Smart. This time, I was surprised at how long Beegy wanted to stick around. Which was fine by me. Creegan was very cute enjoying all the animals. He seemed especially fond of the five cats they had on display from the Humane Society. His favorite was a very fluffy calico named Charity, whose face was almost perfectly evenly split between gray fur and orange fur.

That evening, we took the boys to Village Inn. For months now, Creegan has told us that on his birthday, he wants to go to Chick-fil-A and Village Inn. Mission accomplished. Melanie and I both opted for non-breakfast items, which is highly unusual for us when going to Village Inn. The boys stuck with things they could drench in syrup: funny face pancakes for Eddie and Peter, and a Belgian waffle for Beeg. I got a double bacon cheeseburger that was too big to fit in my mouth and that was so meaty it was difficult to taste anything other than ground beef (without any discernible seasoning to make it interesting). It was somewhat disappointing. I should’ve had the omelet I’d originally planned on having.



And that’s that. My youngest is four. In my opinion, this is a great stage to be at as a parent. Happy birthday, Beegy!

1 comment:

  1. I love that we get to be a part of these things now! Beegy talked quite a bit to me last Saturday and I was so glad!

    ReplyDelete