Wednesday, August 20, 2014

First Day of School

Today was the first day of school for Eddie and Peter. It is Peter’s first time at a brick-and-mortar school, but seeing as how we moved two months ago, it is a new school for both Eddie and Peter. Peter seemed totally fine when I dropped him off this morning. Eddie got emotional, choking back the tears. The biggest display of emotion actually came from Creegan, who sobbed after dropping off his older brothers. He was sad to have his best friends leave him behind. It’s not that Creegan wanted to stay at the school. He was just sad to know that Eddie and Peter aren’t going to be with him all day long. This was heartbreaking for me.

I’m really hopeful that something will happen during the day to make Eddie feel happy and excited about school. I hope that by now, two hours into his school day, he has had some fun and is more of his normal self. He did so incredibly well adjusting to school last year. He seemed instantly comfortable and very happy with going. But change is hard on him, and this is starting over. And one huge disadvantage this time around is that his best friend in the whole world isn’t in his class to help him adjust. He literally doesn’t know any of his classmates. That’s going to be rough.

I’m not sure what to expect of Peter. I think he might like traditional school, but I think there will be challenges. He gets distracted easily, and is frequently off in his own little world. Today, when the teacher started to lead his class inside, Peter just stood there, not following the line of students. He just wasn’t paying enough attention. I had to call to him and tell him to go. I think this is probably a sign of what’s to come. But I’m more optimistic than not.

I have to admit, it was nice to be the one to take my boys to school, especially on their first day. I haven’t usually been available for such things. It’s nice that we live near enough to the school to walk. It was a gray, crisp, and very mildly rainy morning, and I loved it. Eddie and Peter complained of being cold. They wore jackets to school. So crazy. That definitely wouldn’t be happening in Florida, probably for another four months. Anyway, here are some of the photos taken this morning:

Three brothers, prior to leaving Grandma's.

As you can see, Eddie's spirits were much higher before getting to the school.

If you know Eddie, you know he's making an effort here and isn't feeling quite so optimistic anymore.

Peter, going with the flow.


The end ... of the beginning!

No comments:

Post a Comment