Thursday, July 03, 2014

Clean Breaks, Dirty Money, and the Light at the End of the Tunnel

When we left Florida, we didn’t clean our apartment. This is the first time that Melanie and I have moved and purposely didn’t even attempt to clean. We just abandoned the apartment and let it be as is, which in a few respects was quite disastrous. I’ve had it said to me numerous times that there is no point in cleaning out an apartment because the landlord or management company will find reasons to keep your deposit anyway. But Melanie and I have always been responsible, up until now.

Imagine my surprise when we received a notice from our previous apartment complex outlining what they’ve done since we moved. We are getting back nearly half of our deposit. I’m totally surprised, but totally pleased. It’s quite a fortuitous turn of events, considering I learned earlier today that it would cost us exactly one dollar less than the amount we’ll be getting refunded in order to obtain Utah state driver licenses and a Utah state car tag. This includes some peripheral costs that will be a necessary part of the process, such as paying for safety and emissions tests. I guess we’ve been spoiled, but we never had to do safety and emissions inspections in Florida. Nor did we have to take any sort of driver’s test to get a new license, like Utah says we must. Add this to the fact that Melanie and I were usually able to walk in and out of a Florida DMV in about 5–10 minutes, and I’m not currently feeling all that excited about living in Utah. Unless things have changed dramatically in the eight years since I’ve lived here, visiting a Utah DMV is usually an all-day affair.

In other news, my carpal tunnel continues to wreak havoc and is probably getting worse. It’s now been about a week and a half of pretty much constant problems with my hand/arm going to sleep, feeling numb, and/or tingling in pain. However, at this exact moment, I’m seeing a glimmer of light at the end of this (carpal) tunnel. We notified our Florida insurance that we had moved out, but I just received notice that our insurance wouldn’t officially be discontinued until after July. I thought I didn’t have insurance and wasn’t really sure what I could do about this arm problem. Now I feel like I can go somewhere local and be covered, as long as I figure out where. I just wish I had found out more than two hours before a three-day July 4th weekend. It’s also Eddie’s birthday weekend, so there’s a lot going on and I suppose I’m going to have to wait a few more days before I can see anyone about this. But that’s much better than thinking I have potentially 30 days before I can get alternative coverage, which I thought was going to be the case. I’m so excited, I’m tingling! Oh wait, that’s just the pinched nerve in my arm. But still, I am very happy about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment