Thursday, January 03, 2013

Top 5 Discoveries of 2012: Introduction

In celebration of the new year, I’ve decided to present a “greatest hits” of personal discoveries from 2012. Over the next week or so, I will post several brief lists of noteworthy discoveries I made in 2012 pertaining to a variety of categories: music, movies, books, etc. In a charmingly and lovably anal-retentive way, I have refrained from using terms such as “best of” and “favorite” to describe these things. There are several reasons for this. One, my exposure to certain mediums is limited. I rarely get to the movie theater, for example. Thus, it would hardly make sense for me to compile a list of the five “best” films of 2012. Also, I want the lists to reflect things that are new to me in as many ways as possible. My favorite albums of 2012 might be from artists that I already know and love. Those albums won’t make the list, however. I want to share only bands that I personally discovered in 2012. Which brings up another good point. Not everything included on my lists will be from 2012. These lists are more about me in 2012 than about 2012 itself. So, quite possibly, one of my favorite book discoveries of 2012 will be a book that is half a century old.

Check in tomorrow for my first official list!

No comments:

Post a Comment