Monday, May 03, 2010

I'm Handy-something Alright

Melanie and I have been entertaining modest ideas of how we can spruce up our apartment. One thing I’ve been dreaming about for a while now is getting new bookshelves for our home office. I’ve got a couple of hand-me-downs that look like they’re ready to pull apart at the seams. But aside from aesthetic concerns, we’ve officially run out of room for the many books I’ve acquired, not to mention my hefty CD collection. The current bookshelves we own are full, and piles of books and CDs are now appearing to the side of them. And so, when we recently spotted some cheap bookshelves available from Wal-Mart, we decided to go ahead and splurge.

I spent an hour or so piecing together a three-shelf bookshelf this afternoon. Eddie helped me out, though he in no way is to blame for the great gaffe that I made while constructing it. I didn’t notice my error until the bookshelf was complete and the blunder was permanent. I doubt I’ll need to explain anything. I think this picture will suffice.


Looks like it’s time to invest in some black paint. In the meantime, my plans for putting the computer printer on top of the bookshelf have proved quite serendipitous. It doesn’t completely conceal my mistake, but it helps immensely, as the following picture makes clear.


There are times I’m especially thankful my wife didn’t insist on marrying your stereotypical handyman. It sure wouldn’t have been me.

2 comments:

  1. Hahahaha.... I am so lol. Years ago Karen put some shelves like that together for me. She made almost the very same mistake. She was so embarassed, but I told her to leave it the way it was because it would always remind me of a funny time together and how much she had helped me at the time.

    P S Do you really expect to be a handyman....Look at who your parents are (~.~)...
    ^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you rock! And my secret word verification is books. LOL

    ReplyDelete