Monday, May 14, 2007

Four Months Later and ... Lemonade!

As a student, I’ve been rather fortunate. Most of the time, I have enjoyed school more and more as I go along. One semester is always better than the last, or so it typically seems. There have been a few exceptions to this. After I completed the requirements for my undergraduate degree in philosophy, I still had three semesters left to finish my degree in classics. Those three semesters were not very fun, and I missed the philosophical focus my academic life had once had. Luckily, those days are over and I’m a full-blooded philosopher from here on out.

This semester, however, was a bit of a disappointment. There were numerous classes being offered that I was interested in, but I had to decide on just three. Philosophy of Mind was a given, since it overlaps with my interest in free will. The other two classes could be basically whatever I wanted. After much deliberation, I opted for a class on the 19th-century German philosopher Hegel and a class that would study the impact of sociopolitical changes of the 20th-century on religion. I was, in a sense, trying to broaden my horizons, but by the time the semester ended, I would consider these classes to be mistakes. Time and time again, I would find myself lamenting my decisions, wishing I could somehow go back and take two different classes. Hegel, while fascinating at times, was the most tedious philosopher I have yet to encounter, and the religion class was too sociopolitical for my tastes. I knew that going in, but I hoped it would be illuminating. Instead, I found it somewhat drab.

None of this matters now that the semester is over, but I thought I’d share my experience. Realizing how I felt about these classes will help you to understand just how grueling a process it was to write the final papers, because I simply was not that interested in what I was writing about. Given the situation, I was remarkably pleased with the final papers I was able to churn out. Once they were written, I kind of liked ‘em. That is a minor miracle in and of itself.

The point of all this is that it makes my final grades for the term all the more exciting. As much as I bemoaned two of the three classes I took this semester, I had a successful run. I checked my final grades, and I’m happy to report straight A’s for the term. Not even an A-, folks, but outright A’s. All of ‘em! My cumulative grad school GPA is now 3.96. I’m happy with that. And I must admit, I hope it will only go up from there. Only time will tell…

3 comments:

  1. Wahoo! Congrats on the 4.0! I was extremely obsessed with getting good grades. Crystal would get frustrated with me because if I got anything less than an A-, I would beat myself up about it. But it feels so good to know that you did so well. Keep it up !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I am truly impressed. That is no small feat... of course, you don't have a hard major like math... JUST KIDDING (seriously) I am impressed with what you do and what you know and how you think and write. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Congratulations! Did you let your Dad know? He will just be "flying" for weeks. I know you work hard. Take good care of yourself, too.

    ReplyDelete