Monday, June 12, 2006

Still Sucking it Up

The carpet cleaners did show up on Friday, albeit ten minutes after I called to check on them. They sucked more water out of the carpet, sprayed it with some kind of deodorizer, and set up fans to help dry the various rooms. It’ll be this afternoon before they do the real, hardcore cleaning. And let’s hope it is hardcore, because, despite the efforts made on Friday, the stench has swelled and taken over our home. It’s vicious. Melanie and I have taken to living with her parents for the time being, and if the smell doesn’t improve we’re thinking it may be time to abandon ship. That’d save us a few months of rent before heading to Atlanta, but I don’t suppose Fartblow (the management) will be too keen on letting us end our lease early. But can they really deny us if the place is unlivable? They probably can, dang them…

Otherwise, all things considered, it’s been a good weekend. With all efforts being made to stay away from our apartment, Melanie and I have enjoyed a life of dining out, hanging out with family, and seeing a handful of movies. We even hit the drive-in on Saturday—always a fun experience despite the guarantee that I’ll sleep through the second half of the requisite double feature. This playtime has been good for us, as we’re beginning to realize all the things we’ll miss about our hometown and striving to cram it all into the few remaining weeks we have (which really are few, given that Li’l Eddie is less than four weeks away from his “Best if Born By…” date). Speaking of movies, one thing we’ll certainly miss is the Broadway Centre Cinemas, Salt Lake City’s only major independent movie house. If not for the independent film, we’ll lament the loss of a treat we’ve only recently discovered at this theater: RitterSport Cornflakes in Milk Chocolate. These little German delicacies really help accentuate the positive, and by positive I mean popcorn. Should you find such fancy-shmancy candy at your local theater, I heartily urge you to splurge.

As for tonight, Melanie and I are hoping for a quiet evening at home. Let’s hope this will be possible. Feel free to pray for me, Muslims, Christians, Jews, and Atheists alike. In the meantime I’ll be crossing my fingers and plugging my nose…

1 comment:

  1. Siegfrieds Deli downtown has a wide variety of Ritter Sport. I don't know if the specifically have the Cornflake variety, but who knows...

    ReplyDelete