Monday, May 08, 2006

My Car Won’t Give Me the Cold Shoulder, But it Can’t Stop a Semi-Nude Man From Finding a Job

Mixed feelings about this last week. Being done with school has been great, but I haven’t done half of the stuff I planned on doing. I didn’t write an Orange Theology post, even though I have a couple of ideas for one (keep watching, I swear it’s coming). I didn’t watch a single movie. I didn’t read nearly as much as I thought I would (books, blogs, or otherwise). And little chores and responsibilities keep getting in the way of feeling completely oblivious to discipline, which is what I’ve been craving. Melanie and my car has lost its A/C due to a leak which, according to one mechanic, is almost always a defunct compressor, the replacement of which would cost somewhere between $600 and $1,000. With plans to move to the Deep South, this is a highly frustrating twist of fate. No A/C just as we hope to move to the hottest region of America and live the life of a poor graduate student? Very funny, thanks.

Today I did begin my job hunt, and I think I’m already done. It only took twenty minutes of actual effort, and I was able to do it in my underwear, so that’s not too shabby. Actually, nothing’s guaranteed, but I think it’s as close to certain as it can get without being so. I’m going through the temporary employment agency for which I worked several years ago. They are constantly placing employees at American Express, where I worked for just over three years back at the turn of the century. My sister, who recently got hired on as a temp, informed me that they were looking to hire several more people. Because it’s been several years since I’ve worked for them, they will require me to come in and interview tomorrow, just like a new person (which only makes sense). But aside from that, it sounded like they were ready to hand me the job. If all goes according to plan, I’ll begin work next Monday. I’ll work from 6am – 2pm Monday through Friday during a four-week training period, and then I’ll have a day off during the week and have to work Saturdays from 8am – 430pm. Of course I’ll be quitting not long after that, but that’ll be our little secret.

Potentially good news: while writing this post, the car people called. They can’t find a leak after all. They’ve recharged the A/C and, as far as they can tell, it’s working pretty well. All for $33.57, knock on wood. It cost me over fifty bucks just to have Jiffy Lube tell me I have a leak in the first place. Apparently these guys disagree. Let’s just hope that’s the end of the story…

2 comments:

  1. Cars are so "damned if you do, damned if you don't", I hate having to pay tons of money to maintain, fix, etc, but I probably wouldn't be too happy living without one.(Not at least unless I moved to Europe where public transportation has a clue.)
    Good luck with the job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I just owe you a belated congrats for graduating! And i hope that the AC doesn't leak out again. I spent a summer in SLC with mine out and it was awful!

    ReplyDelete