Wednesday, April 12, 2006

If I Weren't an Optimist, I'd Kill Myself

I have good news and I have bad news.

The good news: in just over two weeks, the semester will be ending. The bad news: in just over two weeks, the semester will be ending.

The amount of reading, writing, translating and studying that I must accomplish over the next sixteen days is absolutely terrifying. On the one hand there is a tangible giddiness swelling daily within, on the other hand I am paralyzed with dread. I continually take comfort in the thought that, because it must get done, it will get done. Somehow that will be the case. Don’t ask me how. I haven’t time to feign a scientifically feasible reply.

Should anyone be interested in the final results of my applications to graduate school, I’ve now heard back from every institution to which I applied. Five of the ten programs have accepted me, but Georgia State University remains the lone school to offer me an assistantship. As I reported a couple of weeks ago, I’ve already accepted their offer. This means my recent acceptance by Virginia Tech is beside the point, but in the interest of pride I thought I should report the final outcome. To refresh your memories I was also accepted by Claremont Graduate University, Northern Illinois University, and Saint Louis University.

P.S. Tears for Fears’ “Everybody Wants to Rule the World” contains some of the greatest guitar soloing in New Wave history.

No comments:

Post a Comment