Monday, January 23, 2006

Grad School and Gmail

My life is so busy lately that I cannot even come up with a clever title for this post. There’s nothing to go on. But yes, I’m alive. Most of my time is taken up finalizing my graduate school applications. My list keeps changing, but I think I finally have it narrowed down to a solid list of ten. For real. It’s getting too late to change my mind now.

When I’m not working on graduate school applications, I’m doing homework, or I’m distracting myself by organizing my new Gmail e-mail accounts. Despite the wariness some people feel about them, I think Gmail has a great setup. It promises to revolutionize my e-mail in the same manner that Firefox has revolutionized my web surfing. In fact, consider this my official endorsement of both products. Currently, Gmail is a by-invitation-only enterprise, but you can download and install Firefox by clicking here. If you know what a web browser is, and you know what it means to download something, you should be competent enough to pull this off. I highly recommend that you do so. I can’t stand using Internet Explorer anymore. Tabbed browsing is where it’s at, people. And that’s just the beginning.

So you wanna know where I’m applying to graduate school? My final list? Okay, for the sake of having something to post, here goes:

Claremont Graduate University
Georgia State University
Indiana University-Bloomington
Northern Illinois University
Purdue University
St. Louis University
University of Missouri-Columbia
University of Notre Dame
Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University

And I might apply to University of Missouri-St. Louis, but their deadline is much more lenient. So we’ll wait and see. They’re not one of my top choices. For the most part I’m applying to philosophy programs, though there are a few religion programs in the mix. If I could snap my fingers and get accepted to anyone of the schools, I’d probably say Notre Dame. Not just because they are well-known in their own right, but because they are one of few master’s programs to offer full-funding to all accepted students. It’s a theology program, which I have no official background in but nevertheless am highly interested in. If I could choose any philosophy program, it might be Georgia State. They have a ton of religious course offerings within the philosophy department, so I’d kind of be getting the best of both worlds. But I’m not too keen on the idea of living in Atlanta, Georgia. Yikes.

There’s my life in a nutshell. Thank you for reading one of the most quickly written posts I have ever composed. Good day and good night.

4 comments:

  1. my dad is an alumni of UMKC and I was born in MO. Yea, Missouri!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list. Any of those places would be lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. I have gmail and it has revolutionized email for me, but I also have Firefox and have not noticed anything different about it other than that it treats some html tags differently than Explorer, requiring me to continually test my website in both browsers to make sure I'm staying compatible. Could you tell me what revolutionary sorts of things I'm missing out on, and how I stop missing them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andy, I'm so glad you asked. To begin with, I love Firefox precisely because I seem to have constant script errors and whatnot when I use Internet Explorer. I too have found my website formatting differently (re: crappily) in IE, and it's obnoxious. So that is one downside--you make it look good in Firefox, but the majority of web surfers who are using IE think your site looks ugly. Or at least that's a possibility.

    Anyway, the perks of Firefox, in my opinion, all revolve around "tabbed browsing." If you have not discovered this facet of the program, you are truly missing out. It enables you to have several websites open within one window, which in turn allows for multiple homepages. You can also open all the "bookmarks" within a given folder at once.

    This is how I check blogs nowadays. I have a folder with all my blog links, but rather than clicking on each individual link and checking them one at a time, I click the "Open in Tabs" option at the very bottom of the list. They all open in the same window, each with their own tab. I can then quickly move through them and see who has something new to read. Try it with a folder of your choice and you'll see what I mean. It's groovy.

    ReplyDelete