Friday, March 11, 2005

Politically Incorrect

I don't care much for politics. This fact often makes me feel stigmatized, like I'm somehow failing in my responsibilities as an intellectually endowed human being. The truth is, I don't really have much faith that the world (or, to be more egocentrical, my life) will change all that much based on who gets voted into office. Once in a while, a certain proposition comes up that I feel strongly about, but most of the time the very thought of politics bores me.

The subject of politics recently came up while I was having lunch with some friends. I didn't have anything to offer, and I feel that I was somewhat frowned upon for that fact. But, in all honesty, listening to people going on about politics always sounds so pseudo-intellectual to me anyway. It always sounds like a bunch of regurgitated clichés: "good luck getting anywhere with the current administration!", "the problem is this: (summarizes whatever he heard on NPR that morning)", blah blah blah. I could probably have fabricated some vague complaints, never really saying anything but coming off okay, but I didn't want to be a phony. And so I ask, is this really who I have to be to be welcome at the lunch table?

1 comment:

  1. I have often noticed that those with the most to say and/or with the strongest and most vocal opinions are the least intelligent. Pay attention to the quiet ones if you really want any wisdom shed on the subject. Like Gina- do you know what goes on in her mind!? Probably not because people don't take the time to listen and observe. But she is one smart cookie! And she probably understands the world better than anyone I know (no offense to the rest of you.)

    ReplyDelete