Thursday, September 17, 2015

Getting Smart

A new car isn’t the only thing Melanie’s new job has afforded us. After three-and-a-half years with my Samsung S390G, I have upgraded to my first ever smart phone. I wasn’t upgrading for the purpose of getting a smart phone. My Samsung had started to act up now and again, and I figured this was as good a time to invest in a new phone as any. My new phone is an LG Ultimate 2, which for a smart phone really isn’t that fancy. But, seeing as how it’s my first, it’s more than enough. Truthfully, I’m a no-frills kind of guy. I want to be able to send texts and talk. I’m mildly interested in the ability to use apps, but I don’t even know what to trust and wonder if it’s worth the fuss. To put a Facebook app on the phone, I basically have to give Facebook permission to do whatever the hell they want. It practically says that in the permissions. By installing the app, you are agreeing to let it do stuff “without owner’s knowledge.” That’s literally a clause in the agreement. Yeah, I know. I’m a grumpy old man.

One phone upgrade that I’m particularly excited about is the improved camera. It’s not like I typically rely on my cell phone for taking photos, but I don’t carry my digital camera around with me. When an impromptu photo opportunity strikes, a cell phone is all I’ve got. I see other people post photos from their cell phones all the time, and they’re always gorgeous and stunning, in full HD. My Samsung photos looked like garbage unless you happened to be outside on a very sunny day, in which case they were okay. Well, my smart phone has a much better camera. I’ve tested it, and I wish I were more awestruck by the improvement. It’s nothing like I see from other people, but it is a step in the right direction. I’ll have to be content with that for now.

I’ll conclude this brief post with some of the photos I’ve taken on my new phone. Enjoy!

Considering this was taken outside, at night, without a flash, it isn't that shabby.

Same as above: outside, nighttime, no flash.

Melanie and I try out the "front-facing" camera, which is even lower quality (re: less megapixels) than the normal (i.e. "rear-facing") camera.  A front-facing camera is basically designed for selfies, since you can see yourself on the screen as you take the photo.

An old-fashioned selfie, taken with the rear-facing camera.  This time we've used a flash, and you can tell.  We're better lit, but there's something unnatural about our appearance, as if we've put white powder on our face or something.  We're looking just a touch more Marcel Marceau than I would like.

This photo looked much worse before I tweaked it.  The problem, once again, was using a flash.  I don't know much about editing photos, so this is as good as it gets, folks.

A slightly more distant shot of the boys, with a flash.  I don't like the paling effect of the flash.  By the way, if you're curious and can't tell, we're at the Gateway Mall in downtown Salt Lake City.

My favorite photo so far, in terms of quality.  It was a beautiful grey morning, and I had just enjoyed a chai latte from this Starbucks.  In my car, I decided the view was too picturesque to ignore.  This photo also served as my first ever post-a-photo-to-Facebook-from-your-phone photo.

The end!

No comments:

Post a Comment