Friday, October 05, 2012

Looking Forward to the Weekend

It’s my birthday weekend. Melanie and I are kicking things off by going on a date tonight. We’re going to Outback Steakhouse and then to the movie Looper, which I’m hearing very good things about. I had half a mind to see The Master, the new Paul Thomas Anderson movie that is based largely on the founding of scientology, but I thought a “popcorn” flick seemed more appropriate for celebrating. Also, The Master is two-and-a-half hours long, and I’d undoubtedly have to go pee in the middle of it. So there’s that.

It’s good timing for it to be my birthday weekend. I just got done grading a bunch of a papers, which I spent plenty of time on. There are no pressing demands, so I should be able to take this weekend pretty easy. And I plan to. I’m super excited about it, treating it as a mini-vacation, at least mentally. I hope to be a bit more frivolous with my time. It’ll be nice. Of course, it’s also LDS General Conference, which means there are 10 hours of meetings to attend and/or watch over the next couple of days. Melanie’s and my birthday both often fall on conference weekends, which can be a bummer if you want to do something grand but also want to participate in conference. Your hours are restricted, if you really want to do both. But I always look forward to conference, and it sounds so relaxing in comparison to what I usually do that I’m not the least bit bugged about it this time around. I’m very happy. It sounds soothing.

I guess I don’t have much else to say at the moment. I just wanted to blog while I felt like I had a good opportunity (and excuse) to do so. Probably I should say something about Peter, since my previous post alluded to the possibility of surgery and I’ve said nothing about it since. That’s partially because I know 99.9% of my readership is family and friends who have already heard everything via Facebook. But, to keep my own record semi-complete, Peter did indeed have surgery on Tuesday morning. They put three pins in his arm to hold the bone together in the desired way. Overall, Peter’s been doing incredibly well since then. He’s often in very good spirits, although he does complain of pain from time to time and the splint he wears can be heavy and obnoxious. Early next week, the doctors will check his arm and then put him into a full cast if all is going well. He’ll be in that for another two or three weeks. As a kid, that’s going to be such a significant chunk of time that he spends without being able to use his arm! I can’t help but feel sad for him. But he’s okay, and he’ll be okay. That’s obviously all that matters.

Bye.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you've had a really good weekend and that you're feeling relaxed and fine.
    Peter sounds like he's being very brave about things. The procedures for his arm remind me of everything that was done to James's. I'm pretty sure it was very much the same thing. So you can call him when you need some help or an opinion.

    Conference was very intense this time. I really enjoyed every minute of it. There was a lot to think about.

    ReplyDelete