Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Thirtysomething

I turn 31 today. Funny enough, this strikes me as even more significant than turning 30. By turning 30, I reached my thirties. But now I’m actually in my thirties. I’m not just 30, I’m thirty-something. Somehow it’s a big difference. Maybe it’s because 30 just seems like the last year of being in your twenties. I could believe that.

For being my birthday post, I don’t have much to say. I have a crap load of essays to be grading, so I can’t have as much fun today as I’d like. Not that I even know what I’d do for fun if I could do whatever I wanted. Not grade essays, I guess. But I do look forward to this evening. I’m going to try to have some downtime with the family. Melanie’s being incredibly sweet and making me a wonderful dinner of pot roast, “funeral potatoes,” and more. And she’s made a cake that is incredibly cute and fun. I’ll keep the details a surprise until I actually have pictures to post (which I promise to do soon). It’s great, though. She prepped it last night, and every time I walk by it, I can’t help but smile and giggle with glee. Oooooooo, and did I mention it’s a hummingbird cake? No, it doesn’t look like a hummingbird, it’s a hummingbird cake, a delicacy that Melanie and I recently discovered and that made me take seriously the usually sarcastic quip, “If you love it so much, why don’t you marry it?” If polygamy were legal, I would consider it.

I guess that’s about all I have to say. I’m getting boring in my old age.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday old buddy! You are definitely not getting boring. Wish you all the best and look forward to the day when we can celebrate together again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the blog. You are soooo young. I wish you could know that. I hope you had a really fun birthday. These are the fun years, when Eddie and Peter and Mel make you a splendid cake and you have lots of fun with them. Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete