Sunday, October 15, 2006

Lazing Sneezing on a Sunday Afternoon

Once again it’s a lazy Sunday, which means I actually have an opportunity to write. I wanted to write sooner, but life’s been crazy—the normal excuse. Here’s what’s been going down…

Last Saturday I celebrated my 28th birthday. My parents came to visit and took me to The Cheesecake Factory. A wonderful gesture. I gorged myself on Avocado Egg Rolls (which Melanie and I had discovered on our honeymoon), Steak Diane and Chicken Madeira, and Mixed Berry Custard Almond Crunch Cheesecake. The latter proved disappointing, despite its decadent name. It’s easily the least impressive of the 8 or so flavors of TCF cheesecake I’ve tried in my life (though I’m not a big chocolate fan, so I’d probably opt for it before any chocolate-based cheesecakes—maybe). Still, TCF has continued to blow me away with all of their other culinary creations, and so they remain one of the best (if not the best) chain restaurants I’ve ever been to.

After an enjoyable weekend, I came crashing down into the worst illness I’ve had in years. I consider myself to be the kind of person that gets sick only rarely, so catching a cold was quite a doozy to begin with. And, though I’m generally inclined to view colds as the least debilitating illness one can contract, this one held no punches. I was miserable, I was devoid of all energy, I had the worst headache I think I’ve ever had. Fortunately I don’t have any classes on Wednesdays this semester, so I only had to miss one day of school. But my homework suffered terribly, which means I’ve spent this whole weekend preparing for a presentation I have to give tomorrow, which means I’ve yet to start on the 10-page paper I have to do for Tuesday. Yikes! All prayers are welcome.

The sad thing now is that Edison has come down with the cold. He’s sneezing, he’s coughing, he’s a bit fevery. Poor little fella. And yet he still has the energy to smile at me, quite often in fact. What a perfect kid. (More evidence of his perfection can be found here.) Melanie’s also feeling a bit blah, but she’s keeping strong. She’s an impressive one, she is. Feel free to offer some prayers on their behalf as well.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Benny! Hooray for 28. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sad to hear of your illness. I hope you are feeling better now? And Eddie?
    How'd all the homework, reports, papers go? I'm overwhelmed just hearing about it. Good luck! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete