Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Tales from the Honeymoon Part 5: Butchart Gardens

On our second day in Victoria, Canada, Melanie and I visited the stunning Butchart Gardens. Located about half an hour outside of town, this botanical masterpiece was easily one of our honeymoon’s greatest highlights. We began our journey at the Fairmont Empress Hotel, the unofficial nucleus of Victoria, where we boarded a Gray Line tour bus, which then wended its way through the city and on to the lush garden.


My wife giddily awaits the Gray Line tour bus in front of the Empress. I originally thought those brontosaurus-looking trees (over her right shoulder) must have been manipulated to look that way, but we ended up seeing them in various places. I guess that means they’re natural, eh? How bizarre!

Because we went as a tour group (although, luckily, there were only about five or six other small groups on the bus), it more than doubled our price of admission. However, having not rented a car, we probably paid a minimum of 33% less than if we had cabbed. All in all, this made the Gray Line tour a brilliant option, and, even if I weren’t keen on the tour guide’s geographical tutelage (which I was), a non-overcrowded bus certainly felt more private and relaxed.

To describe Butchart Gardens, even with the help of photography, is ipso facto not to do it justice. Nevertheless, with no other options before me, I now present a selection of photographs taken at this beautiful locale. Because I know next to nothing about flowers, commentary will be limited. However, I am confident the pictures will speak eloquently enough where I cannot.


I think these are hydrangeas. Hypochondrias? Something like that anyway.


An awesome barrage of purple-toned blossoms dangle at one’s eye-level, as demonstrated here by my lovely spouse.


The entryway to the garden’s topmost attraction, the Sunken Garden. When you round that corner, you are struck by a display of such magnificent splendor that you are likely to gasp aloud. I sincerely did!


See what I mean!


…and moving the camera a little bit to the right.


Ross Fountain. Neat.


Based on the complimentary flower guide that came with the tour, I’m supposing this to be a chrysanthemum. Nothing says “faux artistic” like an extreme close-up!


One of my favorite photos. I believe these are dahlias. If you look closely, you can see crystal droplets of dew on most petals. Very cool.


Chrysanthemums? Dahlias? Both? Regardless, they’re gorgeous!


The pond in the Italian Garden. Bon appetit! (That’s Italian for, “I only know French!”)

Thus ends our excursion into the horticultural phenomenon that is Butchart Gardens. Anyone planning a trip to Victoria (or anywhere nearby) should make this a priority on their “must see” list. Melanie and I are certainly glad we did.

Next stop: Vancouver.

*Confession: the pictures of my wife have been altered. While Melanie was admittedly ecstatic at having become my bride, these images do not convey her true smile. Using sophisticated technology, I have carefully replaced her face with that of another, in order to protect her anonymity. If you look closely, however, you can tell where the "stand-in" face ends and Melanie's real body begins. It's quite fascinating.

5 comments:

  1. What beautiful pictures. You should work for the tourist board.

    (And Madame Benny K's hair color is very pretty.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too, love red hair (and curls too!), so your wife must be lovely.

    Also, great pix! How long was your honeymoon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both very much. Yes, my wife's hair is the source of many compliments. I never felt attracted to redheads in particular, but I'm definitely smitten now.

    As for the length of our honeymoon - it wasn't as long as you might assume. It was only five days and (if you include the wedding night) five nights. But they were jam-packed days, so we saw a lot of places. In fact, we never stayed in one location for more than one night. I'm just taking my sweet time telling all about it. This may be post five, but it's only the second out-of-town city of our honeymoon...

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! that is some beautiful scenery. must have been difficult to come home after that.
    Hay, I think I've seen your bride before, on a tee-shirt or something, you married a celeb!!!

    ReplyDelete