Friday, August 26, 2005

Potpourri No. 6

Another assortment of quick tidbits:
  • Thanks to my recent epiphany regarding school, my current class schedule only forces me to campus three days a week. Joy of joys!
  • Wedding plans are well under way. Announcements have been ordered, honeymoon reservations have been made, and my ring has been purchased. We’ve even begun our wedding registry with the fine folks at Bed, Bath, & Beyond. There really isn’t too much more to do, seeing as how we’re not having a reception. Could it get any better than this? More details on all of the above to come.
  • The Amazing Race is back in action on Tuesday, September 27th. If you’ve yet to sample this show, here’s your chance to finally get jiggy with it. You needn’t be a fan of so-called “reality” television to enjoy this program, I promise you. And, should it pique your interest, this season breaks tradition by featuring ten families of four—rather than eleven teams of two—as the competitors. Let’s see how well Dad keeps his patience as he drags his seven-year-old son across India, shall we?
  • Orange Theology has been updated. This installment: what is worship?
  • I’ve updated my personal profile and added some new links to the fine list of blogs found in the sidebar. Peruse with pleasure.
  • As you may already know, McDonald’s now offers DVD rentals. While I’ve yet to check it out in person, I’m stumped by the fact that DVDs are checked-out by kiosk. How do you return them? How do they know who you are, just in case you don’t? I assume it must go something like this: you swipe a credit card to pay the rental fee and the machine spits out the DVD; if you don’t return it within a certain amount of time, your credit card is charged the price of the movie. Cash is not an option. I assume this is how it works, as nothing else makes sense to me. For some reason, it highly annoys me that this is even an option. But I guess if you’re stopping by for a Big Mac®, you might as well grab a copy of Super Size Me while you’re at it.
  • Has the grade inflation epidemic finally gotten out of control? I’ve never been worried about it—until my most recent haircut. Based on the quality of this haircut, I am convinced that grade inflation must be taking place in cosmetology school. For those of us who frequent hair salon chains such as Supercuts and Great Clips, this should be of grave concern. Granted, such establishments are not meant to be fancy, but I’m a balding man for crying out loud. I have no need for anything fancy. How can someone who’s earned a certificate in cosmetology not handle half a head of hair? I’m talking a trim, folks. Luckily, nothing’s that noticeable from the front. Of course, when you’re balding, this statement is kind of a given...

4 comments:

  1. When I go to get the ol' ears lowered, I end up having to go to Pro Cuts (very similar to Great Clips). This is for two reasons:

    1) They're cheap.
    2) I'm poor.

    I've pretty much given myself to the fact that my hair is going to look like crap for at least a week after this.

    Probably the reason for my large array of hats and headgear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit The Amazing Race does look interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DVDs at Mickey D's seems ludicrous to me! It's kinda scary. If anyone does it, be sure to blog about the experience!
    As for grade inflation, I teach at a school where people don't seem to think they should have to work for grades. One program we offer is in Medical Assisting (if that's scary, they also offer Surgical Technician- yikes!) Last night my MA students were talking about practicing phlebotomy and what work that takes. That got other students talking about all the bad experiences they've had getting blood tests! Seeing some of my students, I'm afraid to ever let an MA near me! (I should admit I also have some great students).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lets see as a guest, I guess I can anonymously admit that I have rented DVD's from RedBox, which just happens to be located outside McDonalds. Being an avid McDonalds hater I didn't want anything to do with them but my wife suggested that we try the Redbox DVD rental because they had a free promotional code that she had recieved. As Ben hypothesized yes you must be in possesion of a credit card to rent the DVD. You simply swipe the card press which movie you would like to watch and it pops out of the machine. It only costs a dollar a day, so if you watch the movie quickly it is much cheaper than renting from other local video sources. You may also return any rental to any Redbox location, which is kind of nice. Anyway just because I have had a semi good experience doesn't mean that everyone has so I am just putting my story out there. So if you see someone in a trenchcoat, dark sunglass and a wide brim hat standing outside the local McDonalds just keep driving, he's just renting a movie.

    ReplyDelete