Wednesday, August 31, 2005

August and Everything After

Due to a fluke misunderstanding on my part, I actually have an itty-bitty moment of time to write a blog. I accidentally got ahead on my Latin homework, which is probably an opportunity I should relish by getting even farther ahead—heaven knows the time will come when I will wish I had. But instead, I’m taking a much-desired (if not much-needed) break. I’m sure my clamoring fans will be grateful (thanks for the support, Mom and Sis).

There isn’t much to say about school. It’s going pretty much exactly like I had expected. Because I’m in such a small major, I already know my instructors rather well. I’ve had them both a couple of times before. One is incredibly demanding (i.e., unreasonably rigorous) while the other is much more relaxed (i.e., sane). My Latin professor is the same teacher I had for Greek last spring, and he is the very reason I still need therapy despite having had a summer break. The sad news is I know I’ll have him (yet again) for Greek (yet again) next semester. So, the stress won’t be letting up until May, at which point I’ll be freaking out about moving to who-knows-where for graduate school. But I guess I’ll cross that bridge when I come stumbling to it. The point is, I have to remain future focused. After all, there isn’t much to be thrilled about in the current situation—except for good health, shelter, food to eat, a wonderful family, and a beautiful fiancĂ©e. But what else is new?

In all sincerity, though, there are many wonderful things on the horizon. I just have to remember to take a step back now and again and remind myself of the bigger picture. So what if I don’t have time to read a book of my own choosing? So what if I don’t have time to go to the movies anymore? Who cares if I don’t even have time to do laundry? There are more important things in life than clean clothes, no matter what the people on the bus keep telling me. But it’s not always easy to remain thrilled. This I know, despite my best efforts. Alas, should anyone appreciate the bleak look at life, let me point your way to this post from Persephone at Quid Facio Demens? It’s a fine soliloquy on why people talk about the weather (even when there aren’t rampant hurricanes on the loose).

Speaking of which, I must give props to the weather department for keeping it in the 70s these last couple of days. We’re supposedly shooting back up into the high 80s tomorrow, but it’s been nice while it’s lasted. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

The end.

1 comment:

  1. Good post Mama! I need to keep looking forward myself. It's so easy, even with a bunch of good stuff going on, to get side tracked by the stumbling blocks. I wrote in my journal the other day that they say it's a straight and narrow path, but it sure is a bumpy road!

    ReplyDelete