Thursday, May 19, 2005

Potpourri No. 4

Not long ago, I prophesied that with the end of the semester, my blogging frequency would increase. So far, no good. Oh well. There are reasons. Number one is that Babycakes is currently off-work. We’re enjoying one another’s company as much as possible, which means I am not sitting idly in front of a computer screen for a large part of my day. I’m also getting a lot more non-Internet reading done, which is probably a good thing for both my eyes and my faux intellectual prowess. Nevertheless, as I’m out and about, I try to keep track of anything that feels blogworthy. Nothing deserving of a full-length post has come up lately, but I have had a number of mundane observations. Among them:
  • 2006 calendars are already on display at Barnes & Noble. I didn’t look at any of them, but is there really a reason to be buying one already? It would only make sense if they actually start in June 2005 or something crazy, which wouldn’t necessarily surprise me. Not that long ago, 16-month calendars were pretty normal. But do we need something that goes longer than that? We’re talking wall calendars, people, not a day-planner that you’ll probably want to refill eventually anyway. Of course, if you never bought a 2005 calendar and you’re looking for one now, you might as well get one that takes you more than half-a-year, but is there really that big of a market for such people? I guess there must be. It just seems goofy.
  • You may not think about it, but when buying a car, you really should consider how your state’s license plate will or will not clash with the color of vehicle you are purchasing. The other day, I saw a lime-ish green Volkswagen Beetle with a foresty-green Colorado license plate. It looked horrific. With “road rage” being all the…well, rage…these days, it may be best to avoid color combinations that more-or-less solicit a desire in others to see your automobile completely destroyed. In my opinion, anyway.
  • Yet another idiosyncrasy of mine—when I eat Chinese food, I sincerely do not like to choose my own fortune cookie. I prefer everyone else in my party take a cookie first, or that someone other than myself pass them out (and thereby decide everyone’s fate). I know it’s silly, but I don’t want to be responsible for which fortune people get, including myself. Not that I think fortune cookies have any cosmological bearing, and not that most fortune cookies even bear an actual fortune (which annoys me—you generally end up with advice cookies). Still, the responsibility is too great. (What would Dr. Phil say about this?)
  • Without further ado, I hereby present my latest blog, In the Key of Orange. Don’t worry, this is not the type of blog to require a great deal of time from its readers. This is a very casual blog dedicated purely to music. The majority of posts will be relatively short, consisting of a brief reader survey or of a quick list (e.g. My Top Ten Favorite Bands, though usually something more interesting, I would hope). As hardly anyone in the world doesn’t appreciate music, I hope to get a lot of participation on this blog. Please, please, please give it a look and contribute often. As music is such a big part of my life, I believe I can easily keep this blog updated. Still, I will not move too quickly, so you should always have plenty of opportunity to chime in on any post. I have added a link to my sidebar. Let me know what you think.
The end.

3 comments:

  1. If you did not exist I would have to invent you.

    Maybe I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Mom, you kind of did invent me. Doesn't that make your opinion somewhat biased?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't we all glad that Benny was invented.
    I did think of how my license plate would go with my car and I hope I made the right choice. I would not like to encourage anyone's wrath against my color choice.
    I once had a fortune cookie actually tell me my fortune. Unfortunately, I traded it with my sister, who's fortune, unbeknownst to either of us, basically said the same thing. And boy did it ever come true! Aye yi yie! I try not to put much stock in them anymore.

    ReplyDelete