Sunday, April 10, 2005

Copyright Infringement?

Aye carumba! This past week I have discovered not one, not three, but TWO unsettlingly bizarre coincidences. First, I checked a CD out from the library by a band called The Postal Service. I had never heard their music before, but word of mouth had brought them to my attention. While doing some homework, I put their CD on in the background, enjoying the catchy sounds that soon emanated from my computer speakers. Two and a half songs into the album, my ears suddenly perked up and my jaw dropped. Lo and behold, the chorus to track #3, "Sleeping In," is almost identical to a song I wrote a couple of years ago! What the -- ?!?

Skip ahead to this evening. Casually hopping from one blog's links to another, I finally stumbled upon a site entitled OrangePhilosophy, a title eerily reminiscent of my other blog, Orange Theology (though, I admit, their site apparently existed first). Deja vu! But, in all fairness, I believe my use of the colorful moniker is a bit more poetic. It refers to a general philosophy of life I adopted some time ago, namely to treat life like an orange--something sweet and juicy to dig right into. OrangePhilosophy, on the other hand, presumably draws its name from Syracuse University, whose school colors include orange and whose students run the site. I'll leave it to you to decide which use of "orange" is the more impassioned one.

But the question does remain: am I not as creative as I once thought? Or -- am I not only creative, but psychic as well? Hmmm.... I'm leaning toward the latter...

3 comments:

  1. I think that Benny's use of "orange" is much more poetic, philisophical, passionate, and cool. And I've always believed you were psychic! Weird coincidences don't just happen you know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun blog. Just did the "next blog" thing and stumbled upon it. I'll prolly check in regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it wouldn't be the first time the Postal Service (the band) got in trouble for stealing. The US Postal Service (the mailman) threatened to sue them for using the name. But then they worked it out all nice like, with the Postal Service (the band) agreeing to use their talents on behalf of the the US Postal Service (the mail man).

    ReplyDelete